Pakistan

Bailey floored by heavy defeat

Pakistan v Australia Australia's captain George Bailey has admitted his side stands no chance of winning the World Twenty20 tour...

06 Sep 2012 | undefined comments | Read more

Spinners help Pakistan crush Australia

Pakistan 90 for 3 (K Akmal 31*) beat Australia 89 (Warner 22, Tanvir 3-13) by 7 wickets Pakistan began their warm-up for th...

05 Sep 2012 | undefined comments | Read more
ICC

ICC World Twenty20 2012 to support the Murali Harmony Cup

The International Cricket Council (ICC) as part of its commitment to the local community in Sri Lanka will be supporting the Murali Harmony...

04 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more

Singapore win, USA stumble in Kuala Lumpur

ICC World Cricket League Division FourSingapore registered a comprehensive 112-run win over Malaysia, thanks to C...

04 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more

USA, Nepal register comfortable wins

ICC World Cricket League Division Four A solid top-order batting display helped USA to a 70-run victory against M...

03 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more

USA aim to climb up WCL ladder

ICC World Cricket League Division FourAfter spending the last year licking their wounds following a last-place finish in Hong Kong, USA re...

03 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more

Breaking News

England

Pietersen names Twitter suspects

Kevin Pietersen has pressed England to carry out a serious investigation into his suspicion that his England team mates Graeme Swann ...

09 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more

Australia sent in, Hasan debuts

Pakistan v AustraliaPakistan v Australia, 1st T20, Dubai Toss Pakistan chose to field v Australia Mohammad Hafeez won the ...

05 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more

Trott found to have broken finger

Jonathan Trott has been ruled out of action for three to four weeks meaning he will miss the end of the English domestic season,...

05 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more

England crumble despite Cook fifty

England v South AfricaEngland v South Africa, 5th NatWest ODI, Trent BridgeInnings break England 182 (Cook 51, Peterson 3-37) v&...

05 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more
Srilanka

'Sri Lankan pitches have changed' - Sangakkara

Kumar Sangakkara has said that Sri Lanka will be one of the favourites at the upcoming World Twenty20, despite Sri Lanka's pitch...

03 Sep 2012 | undefined comments| Read more
Audios And Videos
Photos
Best Blogger Tips

Live Scores

Australia

Bailey floored by heavy defeat

Pakistan v Australia Australia's captain George Bailey has admitted his side stands no chance of winning the World Twenty20 tour...

06 Sep 2012 | Read more
India

Rajasthan hopes to get ground ready

The Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) is hoping to get the Sawai Mansingh stadium in Jaipur ready for the forthcoming Ira...

05 Sep 2012 | Read more
Bangladesh

Bangladesh player banned for fixing

Former Bangladesh cricketer Shariful Haque has been banned for an indefinite period after spot-fixing allegations made...

04 Sep 2012 | Read more
Zimbabwe

Phil Mustard signs for Mountaineers

Durham wicketkeeper Phil Mustard has signed a five-week contract with Zimbabwean franchise Mountaineers. Mustard, who has played...

11 Nov 2011 | Read more
South Africa

England look to extend winning home run

England v South AfricaEngland v South Africa, 5th NatWest ODI, Trent BridgeMatch FactsTrent Bridge, September 5 Start time: 2.00pm (1300 G...

04 Sep 2012 | Read more
New Zealand

Disappointing to lose, but plenty of positives - Hesson

India v New Zealand India v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Bangalore, 4th dayNew Zealand coach Mike Hesson has said his side should...

04 Sep 2012 | Read more
West Indies

Dwayne Bravo expects quick return

Dwayne Bravo, the West Indies allrounder, has said his ankle injury has healed and he expects to be fit for the Big Bash League in Au...

28 Nov 2011 | Read more
Domestic And County Cricket

Read battles for faltering Notts

County Cricket 2012Surrey v Nottinghamshire, The Oval, 2nd dayNottinghamshire 227 (Read 85*, Linley 5-62) trail Surrey 269 (Gurney 4-...

05 Sep 2012 | Read more

Be A Fan On Facebook

News Archive

Total Pageviews

Disappointing to lose, but plenty of positives - Hesson


Doug Bracewell celebrates the wicket of Sachin Tendulkar, India v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Bangalore, 2nd day, September 1, 2012India v New Zealand 

India v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Bangalore, 4th day

New Zealand coach Mike Hesson has said his side should be proud of the fact that they managed to put pressure on India, despite losing an evenly matched Bangalore Test by five wickets. After losing the first Test in Hyderabad by an innings, they fancied their chances of squaring the series in Bangalore by setting a target of 261. India stuttered, but got over the line on the fourth day after being reduced to 166 for 5.
"I think we have made huge progress in this Test. The score we operated with in the first innings (365) was more than competitive," Hesson said. "To get a first-innings lead against a quality Indian side showed that we'd made some improvements there. In the second innings the conditions were a bit tougher, we made a couple of errors at crucial times, we also could have fallen over but we didn't. We took on some players with fearful records.
"In the end, we set them a challenging a total that gave our bowlers a real chance. Sure we would have wanted more (runs). We still have to keep that positive mindset."
The defeat was New Zealand's fourth in as many Tests since the tour of the West Indies in July-August. New Zealand are at No.8 in the ICC Test rankings, above Bangladesh. Hesson admitted, thoughk that the players were disappointed they couldn't close out the game.
"We are ranked where we are for a reason, but I thought there were good signs in all areas of the game in Bangalore," Hesson said. "No one likes to lose and the dressing room was quite gutted because we put a top side under pressure, which many sides haven't been able to do in India in a long time. To put ourselves into that position and not get over the line was frustrating.
"The players are extremely hard on themselves, individually and collectively. Some talk about the inadequacies in other players to try and help them. We've got a good leadership group that's learning to lead. We're trying to get the guys to evolve so they can challenge each other and start to ask tough questions."
New Zealand left out their most experienced seamer, Chris Martin, for Tim Southee, whose 7 for 64 were the best figures for a New Zealand bowler in India. Southee's efforts helped New Zealand gain a slender first-innings lead of 12. Hesson said leaving out Martin was a "tough call" but insisted that he was definitely in the mix for future selection.
"We thought Chris bowled well in Hyderabad but we thought Tim was ready to go. He had been bowling beautifully and someone had to miss out. Chris has a lot of experience and helps pull the whole bowling group together."
Hesson said the side had a lot to learn in terms of decision making out in the middle, especially in Hyderabad, where New Zealand failed to pass 200 in both innings.
"We lost a number of wickets in the first Test because we were indecisive, whether it be to play, or leave, to push for a single or to attack. If you make the wrong decision and commit to it sometimes you can get out of trouble. We tried to ensure we didn't make those mistakes from Hyderabad in this Test."
Hesson said the players had done their best to simulate match conditions at the nets. "We have competitive nets. We create an environment in our net situation where the guys are under pressure. Very difficult of course to replicate 40,000 screaming Indians."

Published by Unknown on 05:43. Filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0

Photo Gallery

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Solaranlagen | with the help of Bed In A Bag and Lawyers